Contact HMRC on their UK telephone number 0300 200 3300 get an income tax refund, for national insurance contribution enquiries and for self-assessment guidelines.


Profile of HMRC

Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) is the main tax office in the United Kingdom, overseeing everything from income tax, VAT to the collection of national insurance contributions. Formerly known as Inland Revenue, HMRC also oversees the payment of tax-related benefits including tax credits and child benefit.


HMRC income tax – 0300 200 3300

HMRC can be phoned by calling their national contact number 0300 200 3300 if you have enquiries about your income tax payments. For example you should call this helpline to apply for a refund if you have overpaid due to being on an incorrect tax code. Alternatively if you are self-employed please contact HMRC on their dedicated phone number 0300 200 3310 to submit a tax return under the self-assessment system.

HMRC are available from 8am-8pm Monday-Friday and 8am-4pm Saturday so please do not attempt to call them on Sunday, UK public holidays may also be affected by reduced opening hours. Calls to their national 03 telephone numbers are charged at local rates, thus you will usually pay your provider a per-minute rate alongside an access charge. However if you have free inclusive minutes you can call them for free however please confirm this with your landline or mobile provider as there may be restrictions on when you can make these calls.


National insurance – 0300 200 3500

Phone HMRC on their national insurance contact number 0300 200 3500 to get a replacement card, to check the thresholds for your contributions and to get a statement of your annual payments. It is important to regularly check your contributions as you may have to pay a bill if you underpay, additionally your national insurance payments determine how much money you receive in your state pension.


HMRC contact numbers – main departments

HMRC department Tax office phone number
General enquiries & income tax 0300 200 3300
National insurance 0300 200 3500
Self-assessment enquiries 0300 200 3310
Tax credit queries 0345 300 3900
Child benefit 0300 200 3100
VAT enquiries 0300 200 3700


Write to HMRC

You can write to the tax office regarding your PAYE income tax or self-assessment contributions by sending a letter to their UK postal address:

Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment,
HM Revenue and Customs,
BX9 1AS,
United Kingdom.


Further helplines for HMRC

The UK Contact Numbers Directory lists several HMRC helplines alongside postal addresses for submitting National Insurance contributions forms as well as business tax forms. Moreover if you are an employer you can call this helpline for assistance in submitting accurate information so that your staff pay the correct amount of income tax.